Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Up to Speed | Press Pause

I made a post about how I'm going to be making a few changes in the blog starting from now and this post right here is one of them. It's an entirely new section called Press Pause. 

This section of the blog will be where I post about once a week - I'll try to be as hard as possible to be regular - about things that aren't about games. I've come to realize that my passion for gaming isn't as strong as it used to be when I started this blog and I guess I'll have to live with that. I've simply gained different interests but I still do play games. Especially now since I just got the PS4 - It's KICK-ASS by the way. 

So to get all you awesome readers out there up to date with my current happenings, I've made this post. Right now I'm a university student in the Singapore Institute of Managemen (SIM). Well, I can't really call myself a university student since I'm doing my diploma right now. Yeah, I'm in the Diploma in Management Studies (DMS) programme which is - I heard - the most basic foundation to get into the other partner universities out there. Basically I'm back at the bottom of the food chain - not that I was anywhere near the top before. 

During the beginning of the new school year, it wasn't as fun as I'd hoped it would be. I didn't have many friends and I rarely went out with the ones I had. Mainly because it was so damn hard to get them to go anywhere. Any place that I'd suggest, they'd immediately ask how much they'd have to spend in said place and the price basically determined whether they were going to go or not. In short, It wasn't a good setup. 

Then I joined a couple of events that were hosted by InSIM, the Indonesian Community Club of SIM and I met many more people. More people than I thought I'd ever meet. I'm not particularly close with any of the people that I met in those events but there's just a nice feeling to know more and more people. However, knowing more people didn't really solve my going-out problems that much...

It's pretty stressful to move to a new country and have to stay in said country for long periods of time to study, I could only imagine. Lucky for me I have siblings here that helped me out alot to get me settled in. Telling me the bus routes, train routes, good food places and entertainment places to go with friends etc. But I still needed to find a routine. I believed that when you move to an entirely new environment like that, it's best to find a routine and stick with it. Just find something constant in that sea of change. That constant came to me in the form of a martial art by the name of Brazillian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ). I took a class, thought it was boring but also knowing that It'd open up if I stuck with it long enough. And sure enough, Here I am writing this post 4 months after my first class, having learned something new and having found something fun I could do as a consistent routine. 

After those first few weeks of University, things started to get good on the social side of things as well. I got to know more people and although it was a slow process, me and my group of friends go out quiet regularly now. Though, the exams are coming soon so I sense there wouldn't be that much time to hang out anymore. 

That's basically the last 3 to 4 months of my life summed into a couple of paragraphs. I'll keep Press Pause updated with the fun happenings and stories that I come across. Peace out! 


-Farrel Nobel

No comments:

Post a Comment